Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Blog Assignment #5

After exploring the Langwitches blog and reading Podcasting with First Grade, it shows that students can learn many things from podcasting. I learned that podcasting teaches students how to listen, to speak, to present, comprehend, storytelling, performance, voice acting, oral fluency, media, and technology. It helps shy kids open up and come out of their shells. Kids can be very shy these days. I remember that I was a very shy kid. I am still shy. It was not til college before I actually started coming out of my shell and I do not think that I have fully came out yet. I think this is a good for children. It teaches them skills that they will need in the future when they are graduating college and applying for jobs. I think it shows kids that they can do anything they put their mind to. I wish that my teachers had podcasted with us when I was younger. Maybe I would not be as shy as I am today.
Image of Podcasting Skills

After reading We Podcasted Today! So Did You Learn Anything?, I also learned that podcasting teaches students to be creative. The teacher would ask the students to gather into groups and they would script out different sections of the podcast. It taught the students how to work with others and how to collaborate with others. It also showed them that if you mess up, try again.

6 comments:

  1. Great job, Paula! I am glad that the post got you excited about podcasts. I was also a shy kid, but I would have loved podcasts because I loved being creative and using technology. We 90's kids didn't have as many resources available as our students will. I hope the post got your prepared for and gave you possibly some inspiration for the podcast you will be creating with your group that is due on Wednesday. Good luck and just have fun with it like you would want your students to! Let us know if we can help!
    Carly

    ReplyDelete
  2. One other thing, be sure when adding your Title and ALT modifiers that you let the ALT be the description of the image used in the post, like Podcasting Skills; this is what will be read aloud to a blind person who might be visiting your blog. The Title modifier that should appear when a reader hovers the mouse over the image should be the source and when typing under Edit HTML, should read: title="Source: Langwitches Blog Post 7" or something like that, if not the actual link. I know these two can be confusing and tricky, but you will get the hang of it the more practice you get!
    Carly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paula,
    I really like your summary and I also agree with podcasting helping children come out of their shells and be less shy. I was also very very shy as a child and am slowly becoming more open. I agree that if we would have had podcasting as a child we would all most likely be more outgoing and more likely to speak up in the classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you when you say that podcasting can teach student many diffrent skills.I never really thought of podcast helping shy students. Great thinking!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "... I have fully came out yet...." come out, not came out

    Have you taken these findings about podcasting to heart? Are you ready to lead your group to a fantastic podcast? Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with podcasts helping kids out of their shells. I think podcasts would have helped me when I switched school districts. It took me almost a whole school year to get comfortable in my new school. Podcasts would have been a good way for me to find students with the same interest as me, much sooner.

    ReplyDelete